Old July 9th 05, 02:34 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Masospaghetti wrote:

> Hey all, I have a 1985 Corolla SR5 (AE86) and the air conditioner
> doesn't cool very well. It has a new compressor, expansion valve,
> high-side line, and drier. The fan clutch is also new. It has plenty of
> refrigerant (25-35 psi low, 250 psi high) and was converted to R134a. Is
> there anything that could help the performance of the system?

Yes: The installation of a parallel-flow condenser.

http://www.ackits.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Parallel

The serpentine condenser you have now was marginally sized for R12. It is
hopelessly underspecced for R134a. Installing a parallel-flow condenser
will greatly improve cooling while also greatly reducing head pressure and
therefore A/C compressor load on the engine.

(On the other hand, why are you doing this to an '85 Toyota? It must be
ready to fall apart by now...)