Old December 9th 04, 04:19 AM
Randolph

AlanH70 wrote:

> How do you check the voltage? Do you need some sort of special equipment,
> electrical knowledge for this? Also as a worst case scenario how much would a
> new voltage regulator cost?

You need a voltmeter of some sort. Any multi-meter you can get your
hands on will have a DC voltage range that can be used. Touch one probe
to each battery terminal.

On earlier Golfs / Jettas the voltage regulator could be replaced by
itself, I don't know if this is still the case on your '98. Worst case
you need a new alternator, which would set you back somewhere between
US$ 120 and US$ 200 for parts.

Several bulbs burning out in short order could be caused by a broken
voltage regulator, but it is by no means conclusive. I would check it
out sooner rather than later, as a broken voltage regulator and
consequent wrong system voltage can be harmful for the battery and a
number of expensive electrical devices in the car.