Old December 12th 04, 01:12 AM
Nick Hull

In article <VYPtd.5837$U47.3409@clgrps12>,
"Dave Fairfield" > wrote:

> I think you've hit the nail on the head. The battery was very dead
> (internal fault, it turned out). I have no idea what voltage the boosting
> truck used -- but my mechanic thought that if he was running his vehicle (he
> was) there would be a surge when my car started -- both alternators working
> together.

My SWAG is that you started the car too quick. I always keep the
boosted cables on (from a 12 volt battery only) foe a minute to put
enough charge into the battery to start the engine, rather than starting
from the booster cables. I also keep the booster cables on for a minute
afterward because the weak battery might have high impedance and allow a
voltage surge, which is moderated by the booster cables. YMMV

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/