Old August 18th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Eeyore[_1_]

Default UK study - Food-drivers as deadly as phone-drivers

morticide wrote:

> Radios and CD players...mostly push button, any sane operator can run
> them without taking the eyes off the road. Should not be a problem.

I'd have to disagree I'm afraid. They are a *momentary* distraction at least.
This can be minimised by the use of steering wheel or column mounted audio
switches or good ergonomic design of the ICE equipment. Big buttons are easier
to find and use than cutesy small ones that are sadly all too common. A classic
rotary 'volume control' ( may be digital ) is hugely easier to use than up-down
buttons.

GPS route finders are similarly criticised although they also have some clear
safety benefits too.

> Drivers do come with various skill sets; some can handle 100 mph quite
> safely, and some do not belong on the road at 45 or even 4.5 mph.

There's *no way* Loco Laura will buy that one despite the simple truth of the
matter - lol ! Nice try though. :~)

> BTW, what about drivers using a vehicle with a manual transmission?
> Changing gears in those cases requires taking one hand off the wheel
> for 1-2 seconds.

As long as that ? Do you drive a manual btw ?

> Are those drivers reckless terrorists as well? No
> need to answer that; the other readers can guess your opinion quite
> well, thank you.

That much for sure !

Graham