Old May 24th 05, 09:28 PM
Steve W.

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Trying to understand more about manual's, and came across this
> excellent article:
>
> http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission5.htm
>
> However, here's the part I don't get: What is preventing the driver
> from shifting into reverse while going 60 miles an hour?
>
> >From the colored diagram.... Please correct me if I have this

wrong:
> The purple collars are always spinning when the car is moving. The
> blue, red, and green STOP spinning when the clutch is in neutral and
> the clutch is pushed in, or at least, spinning slowly from the

friction
> of the output shaft (yellow) rubbing on the bearings that the blue
> gears ride on.
>
> TIA!

Nothing. Just like most transmissions you can shift into reverse from a
forward gear. If your REALLY lucky the only thing that happens is that
the rear tires lock up and the engine quits and you slide to a stop. If
your unlucky, the trans will go into gear and then grenade the weakest
part in the driveline. What that part is depends on the vehicle.
Anything from U-Joints to the clutch disc or even the crankshaft in the
engine. Something will give.

--
Steve Williams