Old May 24th 05, 08:11 PM
Don Bruder

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission5.htm

> However, here's the part I don't get: What is preventing the driver
> from shifting into reverse while going 60 miles an hour?

Nothing whatsoever, beyond the difficulty likely to be encountred in
trying to get the involved gears to mesh at those speeds. (never mind
the fact that the tranny is likely to actively fight you due to the fact
that the reverse gear is being driven "the wrong way" by the
forward-turning wheels/driveline)

Muscle it hard enough, and/or play with the throttle right, and you
could indeed do it - Although you'll almost certainly wish you'd failed
within a second or so of your "achievement". A grenaded clutch disk
(spun apart by way too many RPMs) would be the most likely outcome, I
would think, with other parts possibly "going south" on you as well -
Perhaps with great noise and violence...

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html> for full details.