Old March 4th 05, 08:17 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article <1109955565.469423@sj-nntpcache-5>, josh >
wrote:

> 1. T1-S in 195/55-14 ... so far probably my top choice but I'm afraid I'll
> be disappointed with the turn-in (soft sidewall is precisely what I hate
> about my current tires; ultra-stiff sidewall is what I loved about my last
> set)

Don't make too much of this. The T1-S feels like it's taking up slack
before it grips...then it grips hard. The overall feel is *not* mushy or
vague, and it does not roll under at 29 psi. You will automatically
begin to turn in a little earlier, that's all. By the second day, you
probably won't even notice the difference. It will encourage you to
become a smoother, more-foresighted driver. It may change your
preference for stiff, heavy tires.

Not mentioned yet: the Toyo is amazingly unfazed by broken or loose
surfaces. It's saved my butt when I've hit unexpected patches of gravel.

> But I'm concerned with the 14" sizes only. It
> seems that the additional sidewall height in 14" tires may allow the
> sidewall flex to contribute more to the feel compared with a lower-profile
> tire like a 15" or 16" for Miata.

When I went from 14" to 15" T1-S, I did not feel any significant
differences in ride, grip, or turn in. I can't comment on 16" sizes.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C