Old March 4th 05, 05:02 PM
josh

pws wrote:

> I have had both sets of tires on the same car and I felt like the Yoko
> ES-100's had slightly superior wet traction and slightly inferior dry
> traction compared to the Toyo T1-S. The differences were minimal. This
> is just my perception as a driver, since we have no verified comparison
> data to back any claims up.
>
> The Yoko's have a stiffer sidewall than the Toyos, but not so bad that
> the ride is uncomfortable, though obviously less comfortable than the
> Toyos. I feel like the ES-100 is an excellent compromise between comfort
> and turn-in, but I would be happy with either tire on a miata as long as
> they are not used in the snow. I would expect to get similar life from
> each tire, perhaps a bit more out of the ES-100's.
>
> Pat

What size ES-100 did you have? What size T1-S?

Just curious...

The T1-S 195/55-14 is 1/2" wider overall than the 185/60-14 ES-100, .2"
smaller in diameter, and is probably lighter. This is one reason I was
asking about the 14" tires, because the Toyo is unique in the 195/55-14 size.

So I guess I'm really considering:

1. T1-S in 195/55-14 ... so far probably my top choice but I'm afraid I'll
be disappointed with the turn-in (soft sidewall is precisely what I hate
about my current tires; ultra-stiff sidewall is what I loved about my last set)

2. AVS ES100, and in this case, either 185/60-14 or 195/60-14.

I guess I kind of suspect that the 15" tires that are more identical in size
may perform more similarly. But I'm concerned with the 14" sizes only. It
seems that the additional sidewall height in 14" tires may allow the
sidewall flex to contribute more to the feel compared with a lower-profile
tire like a 15" or 16" for Miata.