Old March 29th 05, 04:54 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Larry Bud" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> John S. wrote:
>> Since she said she was talking on the phone it is a pretty good guess
>> that her full attention was not being given to the fancy driving
>> technique needed to cross a bridge.

> Oh REALLY??? That's NOT what she said:
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in683445.shtml
>
> "There's a metal grate over this bridge. I think it was just a
> combination of maybe wind and a lot of water. As soon as I went onto
> the metal grate, my car started to slide like it was on ice, and it
> started to slide into oncoming traffic, which made me way over-correct,
> trying to steer away from the oncoming car. As soon as my car hit the
> pavement again, it shot me off like a slingshot. My tires were already
> turned. So it just shot me off. It happened so quickly."
>
> Once again you people with some bug up your butt about cell phones
> attribute every little thing, and maybe at times even make **** up in
> an attempt to demonize an inanimate object.

Larry, I've driven over that bridge thousands of times, in everything from
shoe leather to bicycle to motorcycle (after midnight, in a rainstorm with a
strong crosswind) to
jellybean car to my SUV. Never had any trouble.

Thousands of people cross the bridge every day without crashing. She swears
she was paying attention but she lost control anyway. Almost the only way
you can skid on that grating is if you try to change lanes while going too
fast.