Old July 24th 05, 09:38 PM
Speedy Jim

speedbuggy wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am new to the vw thing and am considering building a custom dune buggy.
> Someone gave me a swing axle transmission, however I would like to build the
> new buggy with an IRS suspension. Is there anyway to convert the swing axle
> transmission in to a IRS style transmission?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Kris

In theory, yes. In practice....ugh!

See how they are built:
http://www.ckoon.org/vw/tranny/tranny.html
http://www.tunacan.net/t4/tech/trans.shtml
http://www.longenterprises.com/

You would need a spare IRS tranny just for the needed parts.
And the swing axle you have may be junk to begin with.

Just taking one apart (let alone putting back together)
requires special tools. The most crucial part is setting
the mesh of the ring and pinion, which would need to be done
after conversion.

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/