Old June 19th 05, 08:37 PM
Genboy

Default Do It Yourself Distributor Change

I have a 98 Civic LX (L4, PFI, SOHC 1.6L) with about 115k miles.
Recently the malfunction lamp has been coming on. The Honda Dealer says
the diagnostic suggests the distributor needs to be replaced. The cost
is $305 for the part and $79 for the labor.

Is this something I can replace myself? I'm handy, but not a mechanic
-- I've worked on my old Corvair, old Malibu, done brake work,
installed all my own audio equipment. But no real engine work and no
real tools other than the basics (no timing light, etc).

Also, what are the odds that this malfunction really requires just a
new cap, or rotor, or other sub-part? And would I be able to tackle
changing one of those by myself? I certainly have replaced a rotor cap
before...but is there a gotcha waiting for me?

Thanks!