Old May 11th 05, 05:43 PM
Dan J.S.

"Martin Brown" > wrote in message
> chris@ukaskew wrote:
>
>> "Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Here in the US the top story recently has been the large upward spike
>>>in gasoline prices. Some have predicted that gasoline will top
>>>$5/gallon by next year, up from $2.50/gallon today. Since you folks in
>>>Europe have had $5/gallon gas for years (thanks to high taxes),

> We have much more fuel efficient and refined cars.
>>
>> I'd be interested in how it compares if you factor in the average MPG of
>> cars on British roads with cars on US roads. I assume there is evidence
>> somewhere when the press always mentions US 'gas guzzlers'

> Yes. When I go to the US I try and hire a decent fast Japanese car. They
> work OK and although they would lose badly in a collision with an SUV or
> truck are much more pleasant to drive.
>
> Last time I was stuffed with a Pontiac GrandMA ~3.4L allegedly a popular
> choice according to the rental guy. So named because of the way it wheezes
> when going up hills. A basic manual UK Ford Mondeo 1.6 petrol would easily
> have left it standing. The automatic transmission was lousy, kick down
> wasn't properly adjusted - it had done about 3000 miles from new. The gas
> peddle altered the amount of engine noise with a 2s delay before anything
> useful was transmitted to the road wheels. Overtaking was best done after
> switching off the aircon. It had the turning circle of a supertanker,
> terrible understeer and the wheels squealed going round corners. The ride
> was soft and flaccid more like being on a ship. When I returned it 2000
> miles later it already needed an oil change. It guzzled fuel for a saloon
> car but that didn't matter because gas was so cheap and it had a huge
> tank.
>
> The bigger US cars and SUVs are even worse. "Quality" is apparently
> measured by the number of cup holders fitted to the vehicle.
>
> Regards,
> Martin Brown

I will agree with you that for most part, American cars may not be as
reliable as Japanese counterparts, especially Honda or Toyota. But I will
take that Pontiac over any Audi, VW or even Mercedes when it comes to
reliability. European cars are becoming a running jokes here in the U.S.
that they are extremely unreliable, and J.D. power long and short term
reliability reports (www.jdpower.com) back my statement.