Old July 18th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky

Default Engine Rebuild

"Remco" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> tricky wrote:
>> Hello all - hope you are well !
>>
>> Last week I went to an engine building demo. We stripped down and
>> re-assembled an engine and had it running all in a day !
>>
>> Yes including splitting the case !.
>>
>> It was an eye opener for me - I had got the idea over the years of
>> reading
>> forums and groups like this, that splitting the case was a big deal !
>>
>> the new crank and rods were all assembled ready to drop in, and the new
>> case
>> had been clearanced, but it was nice to see that there was nothing scary
>> in
>> there .
>>
>> Anyhooo - It has inspired me to strip down one of mine - soooo getting
>> my question.
>>
>> I have the tom wilson book and I have read on here that the section of
>> cam
>> timing is wrong. What exactly is wrong with that section ? we were
>> shown
>> how to set the timing in the demo, but looking at the wilson book, altho
>> he
>> times it differently, its not obvious (without a stripped engine in front
>> of
>> me) what he is doing wrong.
>>
>> If anyone has the book, and knows which bit he does wrong, can you let me
>> know please.
>>
>> BTW The demo I went to should be on the discovery channel (UK) later in
>> the
>> year, I will post when I know the dates.

> That is cool -- I hope we get to see that program in the US as well.
>
> Don't know about the Tom Wilson book.
> I used the bugme video in conjunction with my Bentley and a another
> rebuilding book to rebuild my 75's engine (it needed a new case as the
> bearing seats were beat). Checked the facts from one source to another
> and they all agreed.
> Are you talking about the timing between cam and crank shafts? I do
> remember lining up the marks and then slipping both shafts where they
> belong. Don't think you can line the gear marks up with the shafts in
> already.
> If you want, I can replay my DVD tonight to make sure.
>
> Remco

Hi Remco

I have the bugme DVD too (full set - they are good!) - Thanks anyway

I am sure I know how to time it (cam to crank), and it will probably be
obvious when I get the engine apart where tom wilson got it wrong. I just
had a flick throught the book and he looked convincing ! Can see why people
would follow it and get it wrong !

Rich