Old April 11th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default '79 CJ5 gasline question.

DougW wrote:

> Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:
> > Let's try that again.... ;-)
> >
> > The center outlet of the filter goes to the carb. The return line needs
> > to be at the top of the filter on the smaller nipple. The two nipples
> > are different sizes.
> >
> > Then when the carb is full, the gas raises to the top of the filter and
> > goes back the return line to the tank so the return line is up top.
> >
> > This prevents vapor lock also because when you shut it down hot, gas can
> > boil in the line which causes the vapor lock and no start like you are
> > experiencing.
> >
> > If the return line is down, then the gas is free to run back to the tank
> > which vapor locks it. It will then need two primes of a quarter cup of
> > gas for the pump to pick it up if you want to save your battery and
> > starter....

> Dunno if this applies but in the old rochester 4M4 quadrasuck there
> was a fuel filter with built-in check valve right in the carb
> Use the one without a check valve and it will drain back to the tank.
>
> --
> DougW

Jeep figured the external filter with the return line was a better
option I guess, but it is the same idea. Vapor lock is an issue on the
I6 because the gas line runs up over top of the valve cover and across
the manifolds. The return line was the fix.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's