Old April 9th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default '79 CJ5 gasline question.

That usually happens because the gas filter is in upside down. The
filter has two outlets, the center outlet leads to the carb and the
'top' one leads to the return line. If the return line isn't at the
top, gas will syphon back to the tank air locking the line and they are
real buggers to start up.

There also is a valve on the fuel pump likely to stop backflow. You
could first make sure the filter is right, then take the line off the
pump intake to see if the gas all comes out.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's