Old July 24th 05, 04:08 PM
Dave Milne

Ok, its obviously slightly different to the TJ/ later XJ one. If it is
taking 5 seconds for the cable to take up the slack, perhaps it isn't
holding a vaccuum as well as you think. The TJ takes its sensor from the
normal brake light switch + clutch interlock switch, so I doubt that
whatever got installed is at fault. Do you have to take the wheel off to see
if the wires are making it to the steering wheel switches ? I wouldn't have
thought so ; you don't for the airbag version which has the switches on the
wheel.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

"Dana Rohleder" > wrote in message
> I may be mistaken about the sporadic nature at first - I only had the car
> for a week or two before I took it to Jeep for extensive repairs. At

first,
> it just didn't seem to work at all. But a few days later, I realized it

was
> just "sluggish" - ie. it took about 5 seconds for the cable to take up the
> slack - or at least that's what it seemed like it was doing. After I
> realized that, I believe it worked most of the time. Unfortunately, I

can't
> remember because I was more concerned with more important problems, that I
> ended up correcting myself after $3k was spent at Jeep. When I got it

back,
> the cruise didn't function at all.
>
> When I disconnect the vacuum line after the car has sat for several hours
> there is a hiss, so it is holding vacuum OK. I suspect the fault is either
> in the control module under the dash (connections tight & clean), or the
> switch itself.
>
> Another possible red herring - the dealership installed a recall item on

the
> brake switch that locks the shifter unless the brake is depressed. I am
> wondering if this installation may have been botched, telling my cruise

that
> the brake is on. However, it seems to operate correctly, the brake lights
> aren't on all the time or anything. I would assume it is either engaged or
> disengaged. I would assume the identical signal is sent to the cruise
> control module, but perhaps there are two switches.
>
> No airbags on this baby, so the column should come apart a little quicker.
> But the manual shows some sort of tool for depressing something to get the
> wheel off. That is why I balked. Also, there seems to be a small trap door
> at the bottom of the column where it contacts the dash. Can that just be
> pried out, or will I break it?
> --
> Dana
> Port Kent, NY
>
> 2002 Saturn LW300
> 93 Jeep YJ - I4 - 125k mi.
> 90 Jeep XJ Ltd. - I6 - 145k mi.
> ---------------
> 95 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
> 91 Grand Wagoneer Ltd.
> 82 Cherokee 4dr
> 76 Cherokee 2dr
>
> "Dave Milne" > wrote in message
> . uk...
> > Ripping the column apart is dead easy - disconnect the battery (most
> > important), undo 2 screws at the back of the column, check you
> > disconnected
> > the battery again (!), remove airbag cover, remove airbag connector,

lift
> > out airbag carefully and the T wiring going to each of the 2 switches

and
> > the clockspring is apparent. 15 min job to disassemble.
> >
> > When you said it "worked sporadically" before, what were the symptoms ?
> >
> > Dave Milne, Scotland
> > '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
> >
> > "Dana Rohleder" > wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> My cruise worked sporadically when I bought my 90 XJ I6 a couple months

> > ago,
> >> and after I got it back from the dealership that performed some other
> >> work
> >> on the vehicle, it doesn't work at all. All fuses, connections, vacuum

> > seems
> >> good, but I suspect the switch or connector for the switch may have

been
> >> "left asunder" by the crack staff at my Jeep garage when they tore it

> > apart
> >> to change my key cylinder. I have the tilt column, and was wondering if
> >> there is an easy way to check the function of the switch without

ripping
> > the
> >> column apart.
> >>
> >> If that isn't the problem, can anyone suggest an order that I should go
> >> about replacing parts to troubleshoot? AllData says Jeep has a tester

for
> >> the cruise system, but I really don't want to take it back there

because
> >> they have proven to be incompetent. Is there a part in the cruise

system