Old July 17th 05, 09:23 PM
Shag

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:52:05 GMT, Anthony W >
wrote:

>Shag wrote:
>
>> Shh! I'm trying to watch the Science channel. They're talking about
>> beer and where it originated from and how to make it and all kinds of
>> important stuff like that. Jeez.

>I hate to admit that I watched this but did you see the beer truck
>episode of Monster Garage? I loved the quote from the beer maker. It
>went something like, "when I found out I could make my own beer, it was
>like I hearing I could make my own gas (petrol for our British friends.)"
>
>Tony

No, I didn't see that one. I remember the first time I made my own
beer it came out GREAT. I mean it was REALLY good. (some sort of a
stout... been over 10 years ago so I don't remember exactly what
kind.) Then I did the math to figure out about how much it cost "per
beer" to make. Turned out that it cost about as much as the cheapest
beer I could buy at the grocery store. Something like 36 cents for a
12 oz beer or so. I think that was Milwaukee's Best at the time. You
really can make good beer inexpensively, but it's a lot of work. I
made about 5 gallons for my first batch. My friend Chuck and I
(Chuck's the one I pulled a tooth for with a pair of pliers...) went
through about 3 gallons of that beer the first night we got into it.
The next day we both learned about how there is typically some
sedimentation that forms in homemade beers and that it's a good idea
to pour the beer out of the bottle and into a glass before drinking
it, and to be sure to leave the sedimentation in the bottle rather
than just drink it all. There's a lesson I will *never* forget.