Old July 6th 05, 10:25 PM
John David Galt

The Real Bev wrote:
> When my mom was still driving, I told her that if an animal ever darted out in
> front of the car she should try to brake but go straight ahead, not try to
> avoid the animal. Better to hit it than spin or roll or smash into another
> car. She seemed surprised, but on reflection thought that that was the proper
> thing to do.
>
> I would guess that would go for humans too.

For a dog or cat, yes. But for a deer, cow, or any other animal tall enough
that it's likely to go up on your hood and hit the windshield, I'd rather
swerve and take my chances on spinning out. A side impact with a deer will
probably leave me uninjured and the car drivable -- head-on probably won't.

Most humans are big enough to belong in that second category too, although
I'd hesitate to swerve to the right; they may run that way if they figure
out the problem at the last second. That's less likely with a deer or cow.