Old March 11th 05, 01:31 PM
Big Bill

:

>> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 19:46:39 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:
>>
>>>Just to save you some time, here's another equally-useless attempts at
>>>exhaust noise control laws:
>>>
>>>"No vehicle shall have an exhaust tailpipe or outlet that is of a larger
>>>size than original equipment". Terrific, what if I install a system on my
>>>'71 Volvo that has a 2-1/4" tailpipe, but is *quieter* than the original
>>>system with its 1-7/8" tailpipe? Bzzt, doesn't work.
>>>
>>>Next idea?

>> As I understand it, California has (or had) rules that actually would
>> prevent a user from making his vehicle pollute *less* than the stock
>> setup.
>> You can't (or couldn't) put on a dual exhaust with dual cats on a
>> vehicle that had a single cat as stock, because it modified the stock
>> emissions setup.
>> Germany also has very strict rules on replacement parts; there you
>> really can't put on a muffler that is deemed to not act as the stock
>> muffler. And don't try putting on different handlebars on your bike if
>> it's registered in Germany; that's stictly illegal.
>> Such rules do exist. :-(
>>

>Would the dual cats actually reduce emissions? They might never heat up
>enough to do their job.

You just install catsd that match the needs.
There are cats for 4-cylinder cars, and others for 6 cylinder cars,
and others for 8 cylnder cars. And among these, they are designed to
match the needs of the individual engine design. It'as not difficult
to approximate the needs os, say, one bank of a V-8.

>On one hand,I like to modify my car as much as the next guy.
>OTOH,I really dislike the noise coming from some cars and motorcycles.
>Especially late at night,when they wake me up from a solid sleep,even with
>windows closed,right thru the walls.
>
>I honestly do not believe there -has- to be a "objective
>standard",especially as measuring it on a passing car presents problems.
>Maybe just a "reasonable man" standard.

Ah, yes. An "objective standard".
But that specifically does away with the idea of an exhaust being
"annoying", or "excessivly loud", which are subjective.
And, as a rule, that's what is required: an objective standard.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"