Old March 10th 05, 09:22 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article >,
says...

>I understand that you're supposed to do this, but are you required to
>stop if you see a firetruck coming from the opposite direction?

NY state law says you have to stop and pull as far right as it is safe
to do so.

>Even if there's a median?

Not sure. I forget the exact wording of the law. I would hazard a guess
that with a median you would not have to stop since you are not in a space
that the emergency vehicle could potentially use.

>I always thought yielding meant getting out of the way, but a lot of
>folks around here think it means stop wherever you happened to be.

Pull over and stop. Not stop in the middle of the road. The idea is to
give the emergency vechicle space to continue moving.
Alex