Old May 16th 04, 09:58 AM
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 15 May 2004 06:40:27 -0700, The Independent
> enlightened us thusly:

>Actually that brings up an interesting question. How is the electricity
>made for the production of hydrogen. Seems to me that not only do you
>have to produce the hydrogen but you must have a way of collecting it
>and then storing it.
>
>The only thing I can think of is you need to have sufficient solar
>cell capacity to run electrolysis of water and a small electric driven
>compressor to compress the hydrogen into a tank of some sort.
>
>In any case while you think you are getting the energy from the hydrogen
>you are really using solar energy that has been stored for use later.

There was a website about it... ermmm...

"Energy demand growth is a global issue, but to get a feel for numbers,
let’s begin with the scale of energy use in the US alone. The US vehicle
fleet accumulated 2600 billion miles in 1997 [Ref 2]. Assuming success in
building a hydrogen-powered automobile fleet, we would need 0.013kg of
hydrogen for every mile driven to replace the gasoline and diesel fuel [Ref
3]. If we were to manufacture the hydrogen by electrolysis we would need 240
gigawatts of new electrical generating capacity. That is almost exactly one
half of the total electrical generating capacity of the US."

that's from

http://www.world-nuclear.org/sym/2002/walters.htm

which addresses the possibility of using nuclear power to electrolyze water.
It also includes comparisons with other generating techniques including
renewable sources such as biomass, solar and wind.

--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
Satisfying: Satisfy your inner child by eating ten tubes of Smarties