Old July 9th 05, 12:03 AM
Wound Up

"RichA" > wrote in message
> What method of horsepower increase would you choose?
> -Supercharger.
> -Nitrous
> -More cubic inches

Of course more inches, because as they say there's no replacement for
displacement. Blow it, turbocharge it, juice it, cam the **** out of it,
but big inches still rules. You can run 10s without any of that crap on a
junkyard 460 with the right induction and exhaust. I know a guy who does
every weekend.

And do those mods to a BB motor and you're talking four-digit horsepower
that you can actually drive around. And screw gas mileage. That's what
beaters are for. In street trim, the 1970 Ford 460 put out 505 lbs/ft. of
torque. You can rub the damned valve covers clean and get 10 hp out of
those things due to improved heat dissipation. ;^)

> -A more refined (upped compression, etc) motor?
>
> Personally, I think more cubes is the sensible path, owing to
> it's simplicity, but then bolting on a supercharger or nox bottle
> is perhaps easier.

You are a wise man. All that stuff complicates things and affects
reliability. Big-inch motors rule, period.