Old June 18th 05, 03:43 PM
jim

> xeon19 wrote:
>
>>I have changed everything on this car. Master cylinder, metal lines,
>>rubber hoses, wheel cylinders and still have the same problem that I
>>started with the pedal goes to the floor if I pump quikly they will
>>get tight I can even move back alittle on the pedal and push forward
>>and it will hold but when I let it go and push again there is
>>nothing.I have bleed several bottles of fluid through the system.
>>what am I doing wrong? anyway I am ready to light fire to this thing.
>>

>>Thanks
>>Adam

> Been there, done that!
>
> I'll tell you what worked for me and hope it helps you.
>
> Get some small clear tubing that with snugly fit on the bleeder screw,
> about 3 feet worth. Fill your reservoir with fluid and go to the right
> (passenger side) rear cylinder. Have some one pump the pedal about 6
> times and hold it and then you crack open the bleeder screw. Have the
> end of that hose you attached to the bleeder screw in the bottom of a
> bottle with a little fluid in it. If you've used several bottles
> already, use one of them. Do that wheel about 6 or 8 times and then
> move to the other rear wheel but go re fill your reservoir first. Next
> is the right front and finally the left front. Make sure you fill the
> reservoir often or you'll be starting over.
>
> I bleed mine for 2 days before I finally got really good pedal. I even
> built a pressure bleeder and bleed them from the wheel cylinder back to
> the reservoir but never got it as good as the old fashion way I and
> others will describe. I'm told the key to this is in the tubing. As you
> open the bleeder screw without the tubing in place, you are still
> letting small amounts of air in at the wheel cylinder. The tubing keeps
> that from happening. I bought a 10 foot roll of the stuff at Home Depot
> back with the ice maker kits for refridgerators. The stuff I got is
> real soft and says "do not use for icemakers" but thats where I found
> it.
>
> Keep after it, you'll get there. You can even re use the fluid you
> catch from the bleeders if it looks clean. I've seen guys pour stuff
> back in that looked like weak coffee and even though I didn't think it
> was a good idea, they had solid brakes.
>
> Good luck!
> <><
> TC

hello TC,
did the above and now i have great brakes. thanks however, my 79
convertible is now incredibly hard to steer. is this coincidental, or
can you recommend some other adjustment? there's hardly any play at the
steering wheel, but it is really really hard to turn at slow speeds and
parking etc.

also the steering wheel shakes or shimmies at 60 mph (did this before
the brake bleeding). do you think the probable cause would be bent
rims? thanks,
jim