Old June 3rd 05, 06:15 PM
maxpower

"High Sierra" > wrote in message
> Bill Putney wrote:
> > Robert Meyer wrote:
> >
> >> The 2.7 L sludge issue may be a non-issue. FWIW, the reported failure
> >> rate is something like 650 complaints out of a possible 750,000
> >> engines. See the ongoing discussion on allpar.com:
> >>
> >> http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59368
> >>
> >> I'm going to change my oil and not worry about it!
> >>
> >> SpongeBob

> > You just made a sh**load of assumptions there as to it being a
> > non-issue. Are you assuming that 100% of owners of failed engines filed
> > a formal complaint? That would not be a wise assumption. What if only
> > 1 out of 50 owners of failed engines complained? That would represent
> > almost a 5% failure rate.
> >
> > You would have to look at percent of owners of other engines (known not
> > to have a design problem that would lead to failure) who filed
> > complaints (that wouldn't be scientific either, but a better inidcator
> > than just looking at raw percent of compliants). IOW, if engine X
> > (known to have no design problems) had a failure complaint rate of
> > 0.87%, comparing that to the failure complaint rate indicates that the
> > 2.7L is of similar good design. HOWEVER, if the engine of known good
> > design has a failure complaint rate of only 0.02%, then it could be a
> > reasonable conclusion that the 2.7L has a problem. As it is, you don't
> > have enough data to go on.
> >
> > Not saying that the alleged 2.7L problems are real or imagined, but I
> > certainly am not prepared to lean towards there not being a problem
> > based on "only" 650 complaints out of 750k owners. And I say that as an
> > owner of a 2.7L with 140+kmiles on it that runs as good as the day it
> > left the factory.
> >
> > Bill Putney
> > (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> > adddress with the letter 'x')

> I wonder what the failure rate is for properly maintained 2.7 litre

engines?

We have done a couple in the dealer, the ones that had problems were not our
regular customers. Yet the funny thing is.....they claimed they changed
their oil or a regular basis but were not able to show receipts, we didn't
buy it and neither did Chrysler. I own a 2.7 and I think it is a good engine