Old July 21st 04, 02:09 PM
Colonel Tupperware

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:37:21 +0100, MeatballTurbo
> wrote:

>In article >,
spouted forth into alt.autos.alfa-romeo...
>> Your "Top Gear" show has been repackaged and sold to Speed TV in the USA
>> as "Fifth Gear" and they started showing it here last week.
>>

>We have fifth gear here too, it sounds like you have that.

I watched an episode of Fifth Gear on Discovery H & L last night.
They trashed an Alfa 164 with a LHD Foden artic to demostrate the
crash that is a growing trend on British Motorways.
After being involved in such a crash (where a car creeps past a LHD
artic and then sits in the blind spot just in front of the front axle,
then gets wiped out as the truck pulls out), I found it refreshing
that they gave very good advice to car drivers on how to avoid it
happening.

When it happened to me the car driver got out and accused me of trying
to kill him and his family. The car was stuffed with several
generations of our sub-continental cousins, all wailing and screaming.
Thats probably why he was going so slowly up the hill, due to him
being overloaded.

I informed him that if I had been trying to kill him, then he would,
most assuredly be dead as 44 tonnes of Mercedes driven with intent
would have made a real mess of his Pugrat. As it was, the first time I
saw his car was when it was spinning in front of me on the M6.

He complained bitterly to the Plod who turned up, but they said he
should have been going faster and not to get in the way of trucks in
the future. Good advice I thought. 1 written off Pugrat (probably a
bit smelly after that evening's 'entertainment'). I found a couple of
scratches on the Merc's bumper.

--
ColonelTupperware
spouting ******** on Usenet since 1997