Old July 18th 05, 10:24 AM
Mike G

"Wayne K." > wrote in message
news:JBICe.116922$yV4.113800@okepread03...
> Hello All,
> So I checked the steering column. There is a connection in

approximately
> that looks something like a small U joint. It's below the Master Brake

unit
> etc. This thing seems to be the culprit. It seems very work out. Is this

an
> easy fix? Or does it require changing out the whole steering coloum.

As I said in an earlier post, I'm not familiar with the 3 series, but the
small u/j's on steering columns are usually replaceable on their own.
I suggest you get yourself a Haynes or similar, or search the BMW websites.
Chances are it will mean removal of the column, or at least moving it enough
to slide the coupling off the shaft.
Before you do so, make sure it's the joint itself that has the play, and is
not due to slackness of the coupling on the shaft itself. If it is, simply
tightening the bolts might be enough to remove the play.
Mike.