Old July 17th 05, 05:20 AM

> John F. Carr wrote:
>
> States with some sort of rumbling about increases in recent
> years include Idaho (75 two lane), Kansas (75), Kentucky
> (60 two lane, 70 freeway), Oregon (70), Minnesota (60 two
> lane and 75 Interstate), and Wisconsin (75 freeway). All
> of these states have neighbors with higher speed limits.

The "75 Interstate" for Minnesota is news to me, though in both the 75
and the "60 two lane" cases, MnDOT does not necessarily need
Legislative approval. Per Chapter 169, Section 14, Subdivision 4 of
the Minnesota Statutes, the MnDOT commissioner can designate pretty
much any speed limit he/she wants for a given road section so long as
it's justified "upon the basis of an engineering and traffic
investigation". Although there was some discussion earlier this year
about bumping up speed limits on some Twin Cities freeways and rural
2-lane routes, to date MnDOT has yet to increase any speed limits above
the previous statuatory maximums.

> States where I know there are non-freeway rural four lane roads
> with the maximum speed limit on such roads between two lane
> freeway limits are Alabama (65 on four lane roads), Florida
> (65 on divided highways), Indiana (60 on divided highways
> without access control), Missouri (65 on divided highways
> without access control), North Dakota (70 on divided highways),
> South Dakota (70 on divided highways), Washington (65 on
> divided highways), and West Virginia (65 on limited access
> corridor routes). Of the rest, some post expressways like
> freeways and others post expressways like two lane roads.

For Mississippi, 4-lane divided highways have a 65 maximum, with two
exceptions. Those two exceptions are full freeway and are posted 70
MPH except within urban areas where they are 60 MPH...just like the
Interstates are. The two exceptions are US 78 (which is full freeway
in Mississippi), and US 82 east of Starkville.

Minnesota also uses a 65 MPH max on rural non-Interstate 4-lane
highways...though they theoretically could increase this per the
authority mentioned above.

Froggie | Virginia Beach, VA | http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/