Old February 3rd 05, 06:29 AM
Dave Henrie

"Tony Rickard" > wrote in
k:

> "David G Fisher" wrote:
>
>> Because there are some people who think it has to be done the way
>> papyrus did it, or it's wrong. They don't bother to do a little
>> exploration before they start complaining.
>>
>> Dave's right, there are far more options, and it's an all around
>> better controller setup system than anything papyrus ever gave us.

> As one who has tweaked and tweaked the ISI controller settings without
> personal success I would take issue with that.
>
> Also it relies on the Windows game controller settings rather than
> having its own calibration routines which hasn't always suited.
>
> Finally I did have an unusually complex controller setup at one point
> (separate wheel, pedals and gear change on separate axes) which only
> the papy system could cope with.
>
> Of course it easy to forget that the linearity slider in GPL and NR
> series was critical to feel and worked opposite ways or was fairly
> hidden, so it is not all glory for Papy, but overall the system gets
> my vote as one that works well on the majority of machines out of the
> box.
>
> All IMHO of course!
>
> Cheers
> Tony

indeed, did not TSW users have to discover an extremely arcane product
called a ROCKFIRE convertor? Should they take GPL back because the sim
did not work at all with their hardware unless they had some product
hithero unknown to man except for here and the tsw support?
Don't some Soundblaster users, to this day, have problems with sound
issues, even tho SB is the worlds most common computer sound product.
Should they take back GPL, and all the Nx series?
ICR2, one of the world's first 3d racing sims, yet to get it to run in
3d, you had to have batch files and file swaps and all sorts of
headaches...should they have not bothered with that either?
Have not many 'high end' wheel users have had to resort to resoldering
the polarity of the their pots? Surely sims should recognize quality
wheels?
If you don't understand something, fine. But to smack-down something
just because it doesn't conform to your concept of perfect means just
about everything eventually would fail some criteria.
To this day I don't understand the delay settins in Papyrus controller
routines, despite many users attempts to explain testing methods via
driving over curbs etc.
I know also that GTR has some GAWD=Awful copy protection schemes. I
haven't paid attention to those discussions, but I know where to look for
them when GTR finally gets to Washington State.
I don't say ISI's controller routines are better than Papyrus, I do
say they function like they are supposed to and do provide more options
and possibilities. And I do race in a Papyrus online league...I don't
currently compete with ISI stuff.
dave henrie