Old December 1st 04, 09:17 PM
Fred W

Noeta wrote:
> Just bought a '93 325. It has an am/fm cassette, but no CD player or
> changer. I'd rather have a single disk player than a changer in the trunk..
> Is it possible to simply replace the BMW head with a standard am/fm/ cd
> player without fouling up any of the other on board security or electronics?

Sure. The advantages are that if you shop around you will find a head
unit with a much more sensitive FM receiver so you can actually get a
decent selection of distant stations, an AM radio that actually works
(unlike the POS OE Radio) and an indash CD player so you don't have to
go around to the trunk to change the friggen CDs in the rain or snow.

For eShopping I use the Crutchfield web site. They list FM sensitivity
and make it very convenient to compare models. The prices aren't bad
either plus they supply the wiring adapter you will need at no cost.

One thing to note: You do not need any fancy active adapters (they will
try to tell you that you do. Just wire the new deck in place of the old
one with the free adapter and you'll be good to go.

-Fred W
What genius first came up with the idea to mount CD changers in the
trunks of cars anyway?