Old July 18th 05, 11:22 PM
Steve B.

On 18 Jul 2005 13:01:56 -0700, wrote:

>As you suggested I returned the cans and bought regular R134a cans.
>
>Yes I did replace the dryer, but I could not find the expansion device.
>This is a 1990 Geo Metro. It does not use an orifice, and I can't find
>anything else on the low pressure line. I am guessing that the
>expansion valve must be inside the evaporator. The only way to get at
>it would be to remove the evaporator, which I am not ready to do. I
>measured the exact amount of ester oil, and poured some into the
>compressor and some into the condensor. I sealed it up and ran a vacuum
>pump for 2 hours. The vacuum stayed at 30"Hg for more than six hours
>after the pump was turned off. I am about to recharge the system today.
>I will let you know the outcome.

I don't know your car in particular but on many GM cars the orifice
tube is in the high pressure line. You unscrew the line and slide the
old one out then slide a new one in.

Rebuilt compressors have a long history of less than stellar results
and if you don't replace the orifice tube / expansion device you
instantly void the warranty on the new compressor. It is worth taking
the time to find it and replace it.

Good luck!
Steve B.