Old November 2nd 04, 05:29 AM
ymenard

>"Mitch_A" > wrote
> I sure like the sound of the warp free collision detection. No more cars
> flying off the track with a slight touch :-) Thats one thing I sure wont
> miss from Papy multi.

I don't see why you hated it for Papy, as what they wrote is *exactly* the
same thing as what Papy does. "Warp free collision detection" = eliminated
the zig-zagging with a prediction code. Prediction coding smoothes
everything but adds an element where cars can for an instant turn inside
each other if they reappear correctly and create impossible physical
collisions.

No prediction coding simply make for something else... WARP. Perhaps in a
perfect network with unlimited bandwidth it's possible (ex : a LAN type
system which btw even isn't perfect and still needs a prediction code), but
on the Internet you have to have a prediction code.

It's the basis that makes any simracing community live. Without this,
multiplayer racing will never be good even if there's a good set of
community tools. Without it, when the server loses a fraction of where
somebody is or misses a fraction of the relay of somebody else, the cars
will be shown erratically (warping). Prediction code, smoothes everything
out and eliminated extreme warping. You often see that in GPL as they
increase the bandwidth requirement. Cars zig-zag around the corners, they
turn in a very "stairway" style.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez