Old July 23rd 05, 03:16 AM
Arif Khokar

James C. Reeves wrote:

> It is curious why GM engineered the lights to remain on for a period of time
> by default after cutting the engine. The Chrysler products I own now have
> the off delay as a option. IF you turn the lights off before cutting the
> engine, the lights go out immediately. If you turn the lights off *after*
> cutting the engine, they will stay on for a minute or so, then go out. So
> if you need the illumination, you have it. Otherwise cut the lights
> immediately.

I don't know about current model Subarus, but the '92 model I have has
the best solution. The lights would immediatly shut off when the
ignition was switched off if you failed to switch them off beforehand.
The lights were the manual kind as well.

My Audi will shut the low beams off, but leave the sidemarker lights
illuminated if I shut the ignition off without switching the lights off.

I'm now trying to figure out how to disable the DRLs on my dad's Acura
RL. Pulling the fuse has the desired result except for the "Check DRL
system" message that won't go away ...