Old March 3rd 05, 10:14 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, C.H. wrote:

> Is it legal in California to put HIR/9011/9012 bulbs into 9005/9006
> sockets?

There's nothing in the letter of the law that says you can't. 9011s and
9012s are DOT-certified bulb types, and I will eat my keyboard the first
time a policeman -- ANY policeman -- knows enough to say "Hey, these 9012
bulbs don't belong in these 9006 headlamps!". But, any given headlamp is
designed and intended to take one and only one type of bulb (9006, 9004,
H7, H11, H13, D2S, 9012, whatever).

It would be Federally illegal for any individual to make this swap on
another individual's car in exchange for consideration (money, goods,
services).

DS