Old July 22nd 05, 09:58 AM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, C. E. White wrote:

> Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 00:25:03 GMT
> From: C. E. White >
> Newsgroups: rec.autos.driving
> Subject: SUV and Parking
>

> So would people had smirked at people driving a Honda Accord (71.5" wide),
> Toyota Camry (70.7" wide), or VW Passat (68.7" wide)? All of the vehicles
> are within 3.5" of the width of a Merceedes M-Class (72.4")? I can't imagine
> the difference in width between an Accord and an M-Class would have been the
> make or break difference in being able to get in the car. And at least with
> the M-Class you could go in through the rear hatch.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed White

Hi,

Touche! I admit, yes, you are right, I just checked out the dimensions
of the cars you mentioned myself. I suppose cars have just generally got
bigger again over the last (10?) years and it's a question of perception.
And yes, at least those two could use the Merc boot door. It was possible
the M-class as in a small-car spot but I didn't stop to look. Over here,
the parking spaces are much smaller than in Canada and in Geneva the
public parking garages are designed for something like Fiat Puntos driven
by anorexic super-models.

Cheers, John.