Old January 2nd 05, 04:00 AM

On 1 Jan 2005 15:59:53 -0800, wrote:

>hi folks,
>
>i have a 1996 2.0 liter 4 cylinder Ford Probe that will not pass
>California smog because the computer is not storing any codes. it
>passes the actual emissions tests with flying colors, the problem is
>that the smog tech needs to see that the computer has gone through a
>complete "drive cycle", otherwise it automatically fails the overall
>test. about a month ago i had the air density sensor replaced and at
>that point the computer was reset. the mechanic told me i needed to
>drive for about 100 miles, at various speeds (around town and freeway)
>and that should acccomplish the "drive cycle" and allow me to smog it.
>well over a month later and about 700 miles it still won't smog due to
>a lack of engine codes. the smog tech said it didn't have one single
>code on the computer.
>
>i have taken it to the Ford dealer repair shop (yeah i am going to get
>gouged), and they seem to be stumped as well.

I think if you have less 70k miles the emission control system is
under warrenty per federal law. Plus, considering it's the People's
Republic of California it must be the big bad company's fault, so it
might have a longer enforced warrenty period.

Check with a consumer protection agency.

>anybody ever heard of something like this or offer any advice? i really
>like the car, and it runs superb, but that isn't helping with the smog
>and registration.
>
>should i take it to a Mazda shop instead (the engine and chassis are
>actually Mazda)? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hth,

tom @
www.CarFleaMarket.com