Old April 29th 04, 10:22 PM
Doug

Default Caravan Transmission Issues

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 03:16:50 GMT, "Jeremiah McNeal"
> wrote:

>Hello... I currently own a 96' Caravan Sport and am looking to upgrade to a
>Grand Caravan or Grand Voyager. I have read a ton about issues with
>Chrysler trasmission problems... specifically the 41TE, formerly known as
>the A604 ultramatic. I have heard however, that the three speed
>transmission offered in the Chrysler line of vehicles is actually a
>Mitsubishi make and is alot more reliable. Does anyone have any input on
>this?? Is that faulty information? Any input is very appreciative.
>
>Jeremiah

As far as I know, the 3-speed transmission was only offered after the
1999 or so model year in the standard (short-wheelbase) Caravan and
then only with the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine.

I have a 2002 Caravan with the 2.4L 4 cyl and the 3 -speed.
It was one of the last Caravans made with the 3-speed since they made
the 4 speed transmission standard equipment in all Caravans starting
mid-year in 2002.

The 3-speed transmission was also Chrysler built - nothing to do with
Mitsubishi. It is a traditional non-electronically controlled
transmission with bands versus clutches.

Doug