Old March 1st 05, 03:03 PM
Michael Low

Thanks for informing us about CHF7.1 but from what I've seen on their
website the can is actually white and the lettering and cap are green -
2 people who posted on the following message thread on ROADFLY clearly
said CHF7.1 is green:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/e32/messag...w16/18305.html

I'm not sure if you are also in North America but it appears that in NA
we use Dextron III ATF in the E39. I'm not sure if Pentosin is readily
available in Canada.

I agree mixing Dextron with Pentosin can cause problems but if you have
the Bentley E39 manual it does clearly tell you to use Dextron III ATF.
Pentosin's website only show German and Brasilian office locations.

So I would say Dextron III ATF is fine to use if your car came with it
in the steering system. If for some reason it has Pentosin CHF7.1 then
you should try to locate some Pentosin. If you can't find any it would
be better to check with BMW to see if there are any differences in the
seals used before flushing it out and completely replacing with Dextron
III ATF. Otherwise BMW NA seems to have no problems with using
Dextron III ATF or their dealers would not be using it.