Old June 7th 04, 04:02 PM
richard hornsby

John Sloan wrote:

> I've had my new Vue 2 weeks and have skimmed thru the manual a couple times.
> I did not see a recommended oil change interval. All I found was a
> recommendation to change oil within 600 miles after the oil change lite
> comes on. Is this the accepted interval or does everybody go by the 3000
> mile standard. Have I missed something?
> John

Nope, you haven't missed anything. IIRC, the light is based on camshaft
revolutions. 3K is on the low side of the average interval that you
should change your oil at. Anymore I keep hearing just change it
somewhere between 3 and 6K. Engines are better designed and so are the
oils. Changing it at 3K (as opposed to 6K or before the light comes on)
doesn't hurt anything.

I change mine every three 3K because a) I burn about a quart every 3K
and b) I keep an eye on the color of the oil and at 3K it is about the
right time. I personally don't want to force a 7 year old, but
otherwise very healthy, engine to run on dirty oil, even if the oil does
have some life left.

-rj
98SL2