Old June 7th 04, 03:48 PM
C. E. White

John Sloan wrote:

> I've had my new Vue 2 weeks and have skimmed thru the manual a couple times.
> I did not see a recommended oil change interval. All I found was a
> recommendation to change oil within 600 miles after the oil change lite
> comes on. Is this the accepted interval or does everybody go by the 3000
> mile standard. Have I missed something?
> John

I have a 2003 Vue (4 cylinder). Saturn recommends chaning
the oil based on the oil change light. I changed my Vue's
oil at 3000 miles (not becasue of the light - old habit),
again at around 9000 miles (still no light - It was just a
good day to change oil) and again at around 14,000 miles
(still no light - I was getting ready for a long trip).
After every change the oil looked fine. I am guessing my
driving style is compatible with the "normal" serivce
interval. The maximum oil change intervl for a Vue is 7500
miles. I've just never actually waited that long but not
becasue I don't trust the light, it just seemed that other
factors made an early oil change seem to be the right thing
to do.

There are several GM web sites that give an explanation
(sales pitch?) for the oil change monitor -

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...qa_040104.html

http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/ima...3e.html#story1

http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/ima...4e.html#story6

http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/arcv_pdf/3_00_e.pdf

From http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/arcv_pdf/3_00_e.pdf

"A computer chip in the Powertrain Control Module is loaded
with a certain number of engine revolution counts. The count
for each engine/vehicle combination is determined by
testing. As the engine runs, each revolution is subtracted
from the remaining count in the oil life monitor. When the
count reaches zero, the instrument panel light comes on.
But, here’s the clever part.

"When the various input sensors detect that the engine is
running under either cold or hot conditions, it subtracts
extra counts (penalties)for each engine revolution. So, the
conditions that cause the oil to "wear out" make the counter
run down faster."

Regards,

Ed White