Old July 14th 05, 01:09 AM
The Real Bev

"C. E. White" wrote:

> "The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> > "C. E. White" wrote:

> >> Hopefully you are not serious. How many people are on such tight
> >> schedules
> >> that waiting an extra 20 seconds at a light is going to ruin their life?

> > How many people is the sitter holding up? Multiply that by every time he
> > has
> > to turn right. While I wouldn't ram a jerk who sat there for three
> > minutes of
> > NO cross traffic waiting for the light to go green, I'd sure honk at him.

> Any light that doesn't change in less than 3 minutes with no opposing
> traffic needs to be retimed.

Two traffic lanes and a left-turn lane with signal in all four directions.
It's safe to turn right in some modes, but not others. The cycle is 3 minutes
-- possibly more. The sloths who just miss their turn always wait until their
turn comes up three minutes later.

The idiot city street people can't get the timing right no matter what they
do, and trying just ****s it up worse. By design (or lack thereof) NO sensor
will see a bicycle.

> I have been honked at while sitting at a light waiting to turn right when
> there is a sign clearly stating "No Right On Red." Then there are the people
> who honk at you when you are going straight at an intersection where they
> want to turn right.

If they're in the wrong, smile and give them the finger. Or smile and wave,
it's more annoying. The subject here is people who DON'T turn right when it's
clearly their turn. We can generally recognize these people because their
turn signals blink for the entire cycle.

> How many of these hypothetical people that the cautious person is holding up
> by not aggressively turning right on red can't spare 10 or 15 seconds from
> their not so busy day?
>
> I suppose you never had an aggressive driver turn right on red and almost
> hit you. Or turn right on red in front of you (failure to yield right of
> way) and then drive slowly, holding you up?

A REAL aggressive driver knows where he is and where you are and won't hit
you. A stupid driver is clueless and will hit you because he doesn't know any
better. Yes, there's a difference.

> > As a bicyclist, I see a lot of this. Adding a bicycle to the equation
> > seems
> > to freak them out even more. I used to turn around and motion them to go
> > ahead while I was waiting to go straight, but that gets old after a while.

> Sigh, I can't see you complaining about some little old lady not turning
> right on red if you are out there clogging up the roads with your bike. And
> don't give me the BS about how you outrun most traffic.

I don't outrun even the little old ladies turning right. I do, however, do my
best to keep out of the way of cars by riding as far to the right as
practicable.

> Think about how many
> people slow down in reaction to your presence when you are on the bike and
> multiply that out.

If they slow down for me even if I'm not in their way and give no indication
that I'm going to get in their way in the foreseeable future, then it's their
problem and they don't know how to drive. People that stupid are a danger to
themselves and others and a merciful god would direct them over an uninhabited
cliff at the first opportunity.

> In the end you are just another impatient driver who is
> unwilling to tolerate even the slightest impediment to your drive, while at
> the same time not giving a damn how many people you cut off or slow down.
> Just be honest, it is all about you.

Of course it is. So is voting. ALL drivers should do their best to get where
they're going as expeditiously as possible without injuring anyone. If
everyone were smart enough to do that we'd have a lot fewer traffic problems.

> > Right on red is legal in most states now. Anybody know where it still
> > isn't?

> According to
> http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/outr...1995/TT086.htm :
>
> "Since January 1, 1980, all 50 states and the District of Columbia and
> Puerto Rico have had laws permitting right-turn-on-red unless a sign
> prohibits the turn. As of January 1, 1994, 43 jurisdictions provided for
> left-turn-on-red (LTOR) and nine did not. LTOR is permitted only at the
> intersection of a one-way street with another one-way street."
>
> At least ROR rules aren't significantly contributing to the death rate.
> However, you might be interested in reading this reference since a large
> portion of the ROR accidents involve bicycles and pedestrians.

They probably involve cars, too.

--
Cheers,
Bev