Old June 1st 06, 05:14 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Audi certified engine oils

Dan Koren > wrote:

> I noticed that Audi's list of certified engine oils
> does not include any of of the boutique, specialty
> synthetic oils (Amsoil, RedLine, Royal Purple or
> Schaeffer).
>
> Does anyone know if this is just oversight, a case
> of small companies being snubbed by large companies,
> or is there some technical reason for it?

As someone else states it is perhaps because they haven't paid to pass
the test, or it could be because they wouldn't pass the test. Having
read the claims, and the dismisals against products such as Slick 50,
Motor Up [1] etc I have now become a lot more cautious about which
products I chose to pour into my engines.

I'm not sure about in the US but I know in the UK my local VW dealership
will sell me the VW approved oil, for less than the local motor factors
will a main brand. I can run VW Fully Synthetic [2] for about half the
price of Mobil 1, or bog standard VW Mineral for less than the price of
Catrol GTX, Duckhams etc.

Ever since I made this discovery down at my local dealership, I've
bought all my oil there.

[1] And suffered an engine failure which having since read those claims
I suspect Slick 50 was the reason for...
[2] Or Synta whatever it is branded.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.