Old April 6th 05, 09:53 PM
Steve

What is the question, I thought asking ...where do I stand legally on this
was it ! ? Do I have to pay them for work I didnt want done, and for not
doing work I wanted done. They have also possibly shortened the lifespan of
my car (if salt between metal and underbody sealant can do harm?....(can it
?)....and caused me financial difficulties where there were none. Devalued
car with plates welded to outside when I would have had them countersunk and
filled and painted if told this was what would happen. Its now good for a
few years yet they said, but try selling it with that done I say !

Just to clarify to those that didnt read it carefully,
I own the car, its been excellent, I love the car, it has many years left
mechanically if I can stop any more rust failing MOT, first time its ever
had anything to fail, only sills and just a few places at that on them so
far, and hoping if job was done right to inhibit for a few yrs yet, using
internal total waxoyl of sills and external Finnigans underseal, or is
product crap ?. But they didnt even lift the carpets which is what was said
would be done. I no doubt have fresh metal and welds untreated, sils inside
still able to rust. They did not put in writing what was to be done, but
when you call into a place 15 mins before needing to be taken and dropped
off at the office, does anyone dare delay things and say I want the
discussed work in writing before you start ?, in an ideal world perhaps but
there are going to be thousands tomorrow not even thinking of asking that.
They have a look at it and say what needs doing, we all then go with this,
certainly unless the place looks dodgy, but then I would drive off if it did
! Neighbours get their car serviced by the same company there, that helped
make me trust them, but it was my choice, other places were definitely back
street setups ! Take car for a service and ask for this or that to be
looked at, you dont say, now can you write that down which I have asked for,
you just hop in the courtesy car or minibus and go. When two guys point to
the areas and read the MOT form and say thats carpet up, thats carpet up, a
few times, you expect carpet up. When you say ' I want Waxoyl sprayed
inside the sills when carpet up, you should get it ! ....but yes they
could have sprayed car pink, I have no written proof I didnt ask for it to
be sprayed pink. I said dont underseal it yet, I want to thoroughly wash it
and wire brush it first, so why then go against my wishes and spray
underseal on all that salt, sealing it in, and not even wash or wire brush
it first.

It passed the MOT but at what cost, an external plate when I would have said
no to it, I would have gone to another unit dealing with respraying and
bodywork if this was known to me, even if it meant car off road a few days
until they could book me in if necessary. MOT pass yes but the undersealant
beyond those patches was not necessary and I said dont do it yet, so they
ignored this and just sealed in salt when this could foreshorten its
lifespan now, something I simply cannot have happen.

I garage the car, I must keep the car as long as poss, just any other car is
not suitable, narrow garage means need 4 doors in order to be able to open
door and exit car. Must garage car, load up with valuable items at times the
night before a journey. Wing mirror must fold back. Took ages finding this
feature, and 4 doors and sleek design. Like sporty looks of car, pop up
headlights, low profile, sleek yet practical, most cars at moment are
unsporty and boring, all much of a muchness !....yawn !

So what now, withhold payment, get them to clean the unwanted and un asked
for underspray back off to allow me to do the correct treatment ?
Or must I pay them ?
Steve

"William R. Watt" > wrote in message

> "Steve" ) writes:
> > Just where do I stand legally with this situation ? What remedies are

there
> >?

> > The only signs of rust are these areas facing down, and the welding chap

has
> > to lift the carpets to do the repair he says, so I asked him to make the
> > most of the opportunity and get the guy doing the job to flood the sills

> > When I collect car and inspect it on the MOT ramp later, I see that I

have
> > one metal plate welded across and then up the outside surface of my

sill,
> > visible when looking at the car !!!!. Such a visible repair should have

been
> > ok'd with me, and edges panel beaten in, plate welded flush and filler

used,
> > I would have ok'd that if phoned, even if it meant another days wait, I
> > would not want plates visible on my bodywork !!!! Not a selling point

when

!

----
> William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network