Old January 17th 05, 04:03 AM
Dave Head

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:38:59 -0600, (Brent
P) wrote:

>In article >, Dave Head wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:23:25 -0600,
(Brent
>> P) wrote:

>>>Which is what you are proposing. Everyone drive the same speed.

>> I never said any such thing.

>To the record....
>
>-> From: Dave Head >
>-> Newsgroups: rec.autos.driving
>-> Subject: Clump
>->
>-> Every overt act, such as accelerating or decelerating,
>-> lane changing, etc. carries a potential to go wrong and cause an accident.
>-> That's why they should be minimized. If you can drive from 1 coast to the other
>-> without changing speed or changing lanes, you should. Other than that,
>-> minimize the changes you have to make.
>
>And I responded:
>
>And let me guess, it's you who gets to choose the speed everyone has to
>drive at to make that possible. Safety through rigid control of the
>population.
>
>Fact: Everybody will NOT drive the same speed.
>
>We can not change this fact. Thusly, your concept of a drive with minimal
>lane changing fails. How do we deal with this fact. Keep right except to
>pass. This insures that faster traffic can pass slower traffic with a
>minimum of spacial conflict.
>
>Your idea only works if you can make everyone drive the same speed,
>otherwise, you get the clumps you were complaining about. The clump is
>the direct result of your cruise on the left driving. May you continue to
>encounter people who drive like you, regardless of which lane you're in.

>>>Passing, lane changes, KRETP, etc you are arguing against.

>> If you're already driving in the left lane, you don't have to change lanes to
>> pass.

>How do you pass the left lane cruiser like you who is slower? Pass
>through solid matter?
>
>> There's going to be mostly slow people in the right lane - no matter what
>> either of us advocates - so staying left if your fast results in less lane
>> changes.

>Most slow people don't know they are slow so they go in the LEFT lane.
>Like you do. 1 out every 10 slow drivers I encounter is in the right
>lane.
>
>>>You hate clumps but argue for the things that cause clumps.

>> Nope - I argue for driving with a very large area around you being free of
>> cars. That is, if you catch somebody, pass 'em.

>You are arguing for clumps, you just don't understand traffic well enough
>to realize it.
>
>> I argue for _minimizing_ lane changes, not _eliminating_ them.

>I got a suggestion for you, when you merge into the right lane don't make
>any further lane changes. This way you eliminate all those lane changes
>to the left then back to the right when you exit.

Minimize != Eliminate.

And, if there's someone in the left lane going slower, I think I've said about
1000 times that I'd pass 'em on the right without hesitation.

One can do all the things one normally does, but try not to do 'em as much as
possible. That means, if you're at the 90th percentile speed, you would be in
theleft lane, 'cuz most of the slow traffic is in the right lane. If you're
somewhere that most of the slow traffic is in the left lane (like I-90 around
Madison, WI most times I drive it), you drive your 90th percentile in the right
lane, and let the slow people be slow in the left lane(s).

Kapish?