Old November 8th 04, 02:08 AM
Rachael

"Kirk S." > wrote in message
> Tony,
>
> Thanks for the advice. With each cylinder firing 144 degrees from each
> other, I can't see how all lobes of the camshaft can all be on low spots

at
> the same time. At that position, none of the lobes are openning the

valves
> very far. I did line up the 0 mark on the crankshaft and the mark on the
> back of the cam pulley with the top of the valve cover gasket before I
> started. I reversed the removal procedure and installed 1&3 first and 2&4
> second. Lubed everything up with assembly lube and tightened slowly and
> evenly with a 1/4" ratchet. Once I got everything tightened down evenly,

> torqued to 180in/lbs in three steps.
>
> The way the manual described the procedure made no sense to me logically.
> If I remove 2&4 first and 1&3 second, it makes logical sense to put them
> back in reverse order.
>
> Kirk S.
> "Tony" > wrote in message
> > Sounds like you didn't get it to TDC.
> >
> > The mark that you need to align is on the BACK of the cam pulley. It

lines
> up
> > with the top edge of the valve cover gasket. Of course the cam pulley is

> removed
> > now so not sure how you can check it. At TDC all the lobes should be off

> the
> > lifters.
> >
> > Or your timing belt was off a few teeth before you started.
> >
> > Tony
> > '91 100q 5 spd
> > (fourth T44)
> >
> > Kirk S. wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm replacing the lifters on my 86 5000 and am having lots of trouble

> with
> > > the camshaft bearing caps. If I follow the manual, there is no way

that
> > > can put the caps back on. The procedure as I understand it is as

> follows:
> > >
> > > a) place engine at TDC; marks on camshaft pulley and crankshaft
> > > b) loosen caps 2 & 4 diagonally
> > > c) remove caps 2 & 4
> > > d) loosen caps 1 & 3 diagonally
> > > e) remove caps 1 & 3
> > >
> > > The manual calls for reinstalling in the same order. The problem is

> that
> > > there is no way to install cap 4 with the lobes pushing on the

lifters.

> > > What am I doing wrong? Should I install in the reverse order? That

> would
> > > make sense to me.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!
> > >
> > > Kirk S.

No matter where you set the camshaft, there is no way of avoiding pressing
down on some of the valves as you tighten down the camshaft. The idea of
removing/tightening alternate caps is to minimise the bending stress in the
camshaft itself. If you tighten down the outers (1&4) first, you risk
permanently bowing the camshaft upwards in the middle. Similarly, if you
tighten down the inners (2&3) first, you risk bowing it the other way. It is
less important which pair (1&3 and 2&4) you loosen/tighten first, as long as
you avoid making the camshaft span too far as a beam between supports. A
bent camshaft will obviously bind in the bearings, leading to premature
bearing wear and failure of the toothed belt. Hope that makes sense!

Rachael