Old June 2nd 06, 06:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Value of 1983 Plymouth Reliant

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My mom has a 1983 red Plymouth Reliant with about 40,000 original
> miles. I want to know what its worth, but the Kelly Blue book doesn't
> show that year.The body is in good shape and the interior shows little
> wear. It is a 6 cylinder automatic.Sorry, but i don't have any other
> information. Thanks.

I just sold a Toyota Tercel, 1994 model, that was leaking oil through the
valve guide seals, had a shot catcon, and 120K miles on it for 1050.00

Blue book only goes back 20 years

General rule of thumb on 20 year and older cars that are not collectors
items (most are not):

If it does not run, $100 at the wrecker, $25-$50 for someone to haul
it away to a wrecker.

If it runs but it runs like crap, $150 since some Mexican will buy it
and use it up.

If it runs normally and is high mileage, $500

If it runs normally and has some "spechul" attribute, like it's a ricer
favorite
(like the Tercel) or has really low miles (like yours) or it's showroom
quality interior and paint, $1000

If it's showroom quality interior and paint, and also has low miles, $1500

Generally, it is really difficult to get more than $1000 for a car that
is too old for Blue Book listing, and is not a collectable.

Getting a $500 tax deduction does not give you $500. All it does is
exclude $500 of your income from taxation. If your poor and in the
lower tax bracket, your not really paying a lot of tax on that $500 to
begin with, so you really don't "get" a whole lot. And if being able to
take that deduction means you have to file a 1040A instead of a 1040EZ,
for a lot of people that is the difference between doing their own
taxes and having H&R Block do their taxes, you gotta pay H&R Block,
so you end up getting nothing.

Ted