Old July 25th 05, 12:14 AM
Old Wolf

Dave wrote:

> Ummm, so it's a personal preference thing then? I just don't
> understand why you give a **** if someone uses a pedal brake at a
> light. It's 20 or 30 seconds, why does it really matter what brake
> they use? If nothing else, at least the pedal brake lets a bad driver
> behind you be certain you're stopped.
>
> I've been in cars in the US with a number of different British drivers,
> and not one used their parking brake at stop lights. Same for several
> Australians/New Zealanders I've been in cars with.

What's your sample space? 80% of the cars in NZ are automatic,
I would guess.

I use the handbrake 75% of the time for a hill start. The only
exceptions are if I anticipate the lights are about to go green
(in which case I ride the clutch), or if the hill is so shallow
that I can jump my foot from the brake to the throttle with no
possibility of trouble.

Even then, it is safer to use the handbrake and have no pedals
depressed (as well as being a rest for your legs), and I was
taught to do that in my official driving lessons. I know a guy
who was stopped at lights using your method, and suddenly
sneezed and involuntarily let up the clutch, causing him to
hit the guy in front.

Also I bet I could take off from a stationary position with
the handbrake on, far faster than you could with your foot on
the regular brake (since that was the original topic under
discussion). Even an automatic with LFB would be faster than
your method.

> And as far as the auto comment, I drive an auto and haven't noticed any
> fuel usage difference between putting my car in N or leaving it in D at
> stops, I've checked.

What method are you using of measuring the difference?
An accurate way would be to drain your tank, put in a measured
amount of fuel, then idle until it runs out. Repeat, but stand
on the brake in D until it runs out. Compare times.