Old March 2nd 05, 01:31 AM
Ulf

The Malt Hound wrote:
> "Ulf" > wrote in message
>
>>My '86 BMW 323 is really a crappy winter car. Sure, it handles
>>great, but I get stuck everywhere! Today, I got stuck *twice* within
>>a couple of minutes. Same scenario, hit a snowdrift and snow goes
>>flying onto the windshield. I brake because I can't see anything,
>>and then I'm stuck... :-(
>>
>>First time, notice how little snow it actually takes:
>>
>>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw1.jpg
>>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw2.jpg
>>
>>Second time, this time the car stopped in the next snowdrift:
>>
>>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw3.jpg
>>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw4.jpg
>>
>>Notice that both times I'm stuck completely *on* the road.
>>
>>I'm leaning more and more towards a 525xi, nothing like AWD to avoid
>>getting stuck. :-)

> This is a joke right?
>
> You don't look like your "on the road" to me. Looks like you drove
> into the snowbank.

Well, the "snowbank" was *on* the road. :-)

Here are two more pictures. In the first I'm parked *off* the road while
taking the picture. This is also before I got stuck as you can see by
the front only being covered by road grime and not snow.

In the second picture, compare how much of the amber sticks, marking the
edges of the road, is viable on the right vs. the left side of the road.
I'd estimate that it's between two and three feet of snow *on* the road
on the right side. I'm standing pretty much in the middle of the road in
this picture too.

http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw5.jpg (original size)
http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw6.JPG

> Also, do you have snow tires on the thing (can't tell)

Yup, studded snow tires.

> -Fred W

Ulf