Old May 20th 05, 08:40 PM
Somebody

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> You didn't give us any history, so if I assume that the clutch you have
> today is the 2nd one, it is 10 years old. time alone is no indicator that
> the clutch is worn out, but if you drive an average of 15,000 miles per
> year, then you have 150,000 miles on it. If the clutch is the original

one,
> then you have well in excess of 200,000 miles, and are approaching 300,000
> miles. In any case, it sounds like you need a new clutch.
>

> "bobbob1015" > wrote in message
> news:1_587801_7a3cab5850e809c3f9c94c235cf1913b@aut oforumz.com...
> > Today i was leaving school and i gave it alittle and i din't notice
> > any thing at the time. but when i when to start going again the clutch
> > started to chatter. The clutch pedal was easy to push down too. on my
> > ride home at one time the clutch pedal was kinda sticking....do i need
> > a new clutch or do i need to adjust something... please help me out
> > its a 1985 bmw 325e

Could be that, but I pulled my clutch out due to pilot bearing seizure, and
with 340,000 km on it and a date stamp of 5/88, it could easily have gone
back in. In fact it had more frictional material on it (thickness) than the
brand new Sachs clutch plate I put in.

A worn plate should not affect pedal feel like that, the stroke of the pedal
is controlled by the two hydraulic clutch cylinders. Slipping and
stuttering, yes, but not stroke. Now, he could have both problems, but
bleeding the clutch is a 1 hour job if you don't know what you're doing, and
changing the clutch is a good weekend job if you have a well equipped shop
and a friend who has done it before and all the parts lined up. So, I'd
start with the fluid.

-Russ.