Old January 9th 05, 04:37 PM
Mike Romain

I believe the big difference is with the full time on, any 'one' of 4
tires can be the main drive wheel, so when stopped and not using the
brakes to vary the load, only one tire can be merrily spinning away.

If you put it into 'part time', the front and rear axles are locked so
when stopped on ice at least 'two' wheels are spinning merrily away.

When this happens, you can hit the brake pedal and with some practice
get both rear wheels spinning and sometimes even all 4 will break loose.

Torque goes to 'both' tires on one differential equally, so the one tire
spinning loose has very little torque on it so the other side sits
still. Hit the brakes or my owners manuals say you can use the
emergency brake and you apply braking torque to the spinning wheel.
This can get strong enough to match the traction of the stopped wheel so
that the wheel on the other side will break loose and spin too.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's