Old July 1st 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pdigmking

Default No charge, no speedo

"Spdloader" > wrote in
:

> Hi, I'm new to the group, but my daughter has a Honda now so I'll be
> lurking.
> I didn't find anything on this exact problem in a search so:
>
> Vehicle is a 1998 Civic DX 5spd.
>
> Dead battery prompted a test of the alternator, which wasn't charging
> at all.
> Replaced alternator, and externally charged battery overnight. The car
> started fine the next morning, and it worked fine for about 1/2 a day,
> charging between 13.8v and 14.2v, then the speedo quit working, then
> that evening the headlights were dim.
>
> Next morning, battery was weak again, I charged the battery for a
> while, then started it, but now there is a no charge condition again,
> verified with a Fluke meter at the battery, but not at the alternator.
>
> A brief check of the fuse block under the dash revealed a blown 10A
> fuse, Alternator / Speedo. Replaced it, had a charge at the battery,
> then blew the fuse when moving the vehicle in the driveway.
>
> I suspect the vehicle speed sensor has a bad connection or is
> malfunctioning. Any other ideas before I dive back in tomorrow?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Spdloader

How did you test the alternator? Have you done a load test on the
battery? Check the connections on the alternator and the battery, make
sure your wired right and getting good connections. Make sure the
alternator belt is correctly tightened. These are the basics. If all
this is OK, and you the 30 second battery disconect and it still acts up,
I say you have a dead short somewhere in the system. You may have gotten
a bad alternator with a faulty voltage regulator.

Paul.